Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Dia de San Sebastian

January 20, 2008



Holler to my boy Sebastian today. Coming up on my bday is the feast day of the other bastion of faith that I enjoy.




The past few days have been fun and busy and each day a different new thingy. I really wanted to say that word for some reason….thingy. Haha. Anyways, yeah lets see…. ummm… well the little basin that keeps my water for bathing someone how leaked all the water out in an hour. It was actually somewhat impressive…I saw it half full, and an hour later, ha, no more. Some of it is leaking the room, but most of it I think is outside. So I’ve been looking for some kind of caulking here in the town, but not any luck, I could do a little cement mix, but Don Raul told me they tried it like three times and its still eventually leaking. So I don’t know what I’m going to do, I might have to go to the capital or Zacate soon to get this sucker working.




Hmmm… oh yea, I went to the inauguration of a basketball/soccer court that one of the volunteers got built…I had to get up at 4…grrrrr. We got to play a game against a San Vicente team and it was awesome to get my hands on a basketball. We had 10 volunteers to play so we had one team play one quarter and on and off. It was really fun, although we eventually lost 30-24 in the last minute. Our team was hilarious though, one guy fouled out on the honor system in only two quarters :)


The New Court

I left early after the dedication by the priest and the games and food, and went to San Vicente to pay my light bill and get some other work done. I took the bus to Zacate to take mine to San Pedro, but I arrived 7 minutes late, with only one bus that remained in the terminal… to San Salvador the capital. Wonderful. I had to call and tell them I wasn’t going to make the meeting that night, and had to stay the night in the capital at our cheap volunteer hostile. 3 dollars! We had planned to start painting at the 7 the next morning at the medical dispensary, so I got up at 4 again to catch the first bus, yeah it left at 630am….haha. Eventually I got back and we enjoyed painting all day. Fun stuff, but what a cluster.


I will eat you.

That night, I had a dream that my teeth fell out….is that a nightmare?


“When facing a difficult task act as though it is impossible to fail.If you're going after Moby Dick, take along the tartar sauce.”

(Notice on a chalkboard in an East Greenwich, R.I. deli.)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yo! Is Sebastian your patron saint?
Nice pic. I said hello but didn't receive any response. Why don't you educate me on San Sebastian?

Those early morning rises are not any fun - but I know you still had a smile on your face and laughed at every opportunity!

When is your birthday? I will celebrate it here. Maybe have a little peanut butter pie or something. Have fun and stay safe. frenchfry

Rhett said...

Well I only have a few seconds, but he was a Roman martyr of the 4th century. He is the patron saint of soldiers and athletes. It is said that he was put before archers, wouldnt die, and had to be clubbed to death. But that part is just a story. He is a recorded martyr in documents and was already venerated in Milan by the time of Ambrose.

Check it out at newadvent.org for more info.

Anonymous said...

but if its the Catholic definition of the Communion of Saints that is what intrigues you, that would be more fun to discuss on the blog.

Anonymous said...

Go for it! I'll bite.

Rhett said...

Its just that the main difference between us Catholics/Orthodox and what Id say would be the majority of Protestants nowadays is that we see our family as bigger than theirs. Whereas many think that when believers die they become cut off from us, we see them as more alive in Christ.

Thats why you'll see a Catholic who knows his faith smile when someone says to him, "how can you ask him to pray for you, he's dead!" No, no dear sir, that person is more alive than any of us could ever be right now. You see the cup half empty, but we see it half full. I dare say the historical documents from the beginning on through the ages support the same thing.

Romans 8:38-39
“For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

Anonymous said...

Rhett,

Did they let you keep the hat :).