So, how can I sum up 3 years in one entry?.... BULLET POINTS haha. Lets run through what, with the help of MANY people, I have been able to accomplish.
- Live barrier and contour ditch formation with farmers
- Grafting, Marmalade, Home Garden training through a $250 SPA grant at the National School of Agriculture for 20 farmers.
- Art classes for kids and a Mural/Community Map project. With the collaboration of local businesses, Kids to Kids grant, and private donations, the classes were given, murals painted in the community house and a community map build and painted at the entrance of the community. About an $1800 project
- The natural spring in our community benefited form a project $1750 to renovate its sources after landslides in the last hurricane. A filter system was also installed, new pipes installed, the place painted, faucets installed, etc etc.
- Fuel-Efficient Stove project..... we built 93 stoves for families all across the municipality in collaboration with the NGO.... Water, Trees, People.
- Potable Water system for my community and the neighboring one. This project is probably the biggest. We spent a year and half gathering information and soliciting different groups. Success wasn't had until we teamed up with an NGO called Madre Cria and the Mayor's office. Together soliciting the Japanese embassy, it seems that a project of more $100k could be less than months away.
- Project design and management courses with 3 different development committees
- Scholarship committee work for over 30 high school students and 5 university level students
- Bathroom and potable water system construction in the parish medical clinic ($2500)
- Translator for Army Medical Brigades and Habitat for Humanity builds
- English classes to Women's group in main town, and vacation english classes to all in pueblo
- Obtaining of library with Rotary Club of San Miguel for a local school
- Elaboration of Electrical system and flooring in empty room in local school so as to install a computer classroom
- Member of Volunteer Advisory Council (VAC)....
- Regional Leader Position in Year 3
- Creation of Regional Handbook for new volunteeres
- Creation of National/International group reference guide for current volunteers
- Executor of Regional Conventions to bring the volunteers of a region together to collaborate more on common goals and projects
- Carrying out of site visits and administrative responsibilities delegated by San Salvador Staff when necessary
WHEW.... so there ya go, thats the majority of it. My life's work for the past 3 years. Many thanks to all who supported me over the years, and a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!
|At the airport.|
"I do the very best I know how - the very best I can; and I mean to keep on doing so until the end."