Thursday, December 6, 2007

Feeling Better

December 05, 2007

Nothing too crazy to report, except for the fact that I think my stomach is finally coming back online. I actually peed today a few times….which means Im finally getting hydrated again. Wahoo. I did some reading on the whole thing and apparently sweets and acidic fruits don’t help stomach things….. go figure. Anyways, I found a sweet place to get on the internet up in the main town, so that is encouraging. I can plug in my laptop which is sweet to get updated and have access to all my stuff at the same time.

I also went to the capital of the department to get groceries and stuff for my house, that was interestingly fun, although I bought too much to put in the basket that the volunteer left for groceries…oops, and then the bus didn’t run again so I got to carry it all back. My arms wanted to die, luckily I hitched a ride in a truck about half way there. It was crazy though….anything slightly American is super expensive. It was five dollars for honey bunches of oats. Much learning to do about how I’m going to go about shopping for food. I am going to start making my own breakfasts here, but keep eating lunch and dinner over at the neighbors so I can keeping practicing Spanish and learning more foods to cook. I actually made my first full meal this morning for bfast. It was eggs with tomatoes and onions in it, cooked bananas, and an avocado with green tea…..mmmmm. Believe me, every breakfast won’t be that luxurious. But, I went all out for my first one.

I did my first washing of clothes today as well. That’s not the easiest work ever to do all that by hand. But it got done. We’ll see how that goes. Hopefully its all there in the morning.
Got blisters on my hand today in like the fourth swing of a big hoe, right in between the leftover calluses from weights and baseball.

I finished Lord of the Flies two nights ago, it was an interesting book. Started Dante’s Inferno today.

I got this text a few days ago from Nick, another beginning volunteer.

“What the **** did I get myself into?”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rhett, I am so proud that you made breakfast for yourself! Way to go! Watch out El Sal, Rhett is back.

Anonymous said...

Haha,yeah if I only had a pick of the huge whole crab that popped out of my soup bowl the other night. Don't worry, I conquered him. :)