Saturday, November 21, 2009

Pictures of Recent Events

November 22, 2009

So I put up some pictures last time of whats going on here in my municipality, but I had a chance to visit with my community in the past week some of the more affected areas in the rains during Hurricane Ida. Its a different kind of disaster zone from what I have seen before. I have vague memories of Hurricane Hugo and the craziness that caused, and random flash flood areas. But land and rock slides..... these are my firsts. What happened was that large chunks of the highest parts of the volcano gave way and carved out new ravines on their ways down to these two main towns... Verapaz and Guadalupe in the Department of San Vicente, El Salvador. It brought not only mud and trash to fill the towns, but thousands of large boulders in the currents of water. Needless to say, now there are dry river beds, where originally there were sugar cane fields and neighborhoods.

In some other pics, I am helping concrete a floor at the neighbors house, and got to play in the first game of San Pedros Basketball tourney (I wont be there for the next 5 games).

Back in SC on Friday. Very exciting. Check out the pics.

"If you are not living life on the edge, you are taking up too much space."


Some of the guys working to take the mud out of the different houses... I bought them some sodas and we hung out

About to start the tournament

we still need to work on our picks

the base being finished on the neighbors floor

still getting there

a blocked road in one of the outlying communities

more blockedness

the shelter for the town of Verapaz

My community has made over 5 trips that I know of to leave certain goods to the needier communities... this is them handing out tamales to the people of the shelter

the shelter in the school

my community handing out stuff in a different school

more handing out

and more

No comments: