Monday, July 28, 2008

Addition to the Family!

July 26, 2008


Not too much to report as of late, well, just a few things :) I’ve spent the past week helping out here and there with the scythes cleaning up all the undergrowth in the lands around here. Yep, my hand is nice and blistered. But, it’s been fun.

view from my hammock

I also played in two back to back soccer games this past Sunday on our clay field after it had rained alllllll day long. It was so nasty, and we got murdered in the second game. It got to the point to where this guy was dancing in front with the ball trying to fake me out or whatever, so I got bored of standing there waiting. I stuck both hands down in the slush and popped it up at him and when he dodged I took the ball :), mwhahahahahaha. The people got a kick out of it, but I don’t think he did.


That night I couldn’t sleep due to some……unnatural….pains, apparently I didn’t drink enough before or after and I have some kind of “bacteria”….somewhere from the kidney down. They weren’t too specific, but I got meds and it doesn’t hurt anymore. However, I’ve been prohibited from exercising til I finish the medicine and we were going to the coast this Sunday to play….. crud.


Oh yeahhhhh, a group of us got together to see the new Batman movie in the capital the day it came out. Very very good movie, it is a very different interpretation of the whole joker/batman deal. The joker is a straight psycho instead of the stable, suave, Joker of the Michael Keaton days. I don’t think you can really compare the two. It was well done though I thought.
Hmmm what else….ohhhhhh, yeah almost forgot. I want to send out an official THANK YOU to all those people who have donated to the church reconstruction and medical clinic cause, we have completed the sign-up sheet for both on the right side of the blog, and another family has matched each medical dispensary donations. I am gathering the final funds to send in to Project Salvador.

yes, thats a cucumber thats been dried out for seeds... and its still much, much bigger than my foot, which isn't the smallest thing in the world

On that note, for those of you interested, recently a case of a young man who is trying to pay his way through nursing school has come to my attention here through the parish. He is a 23 year old (altar boy) who has paid his way through part of school working and with the help of his mom and the parish priest, however, at the moment, the job has ended and his mom is no longer able to help, leaving the parish. He has applied for 5 or 6 jobs and has had a few interviews this past week. A group in Boston is spear-heading this fundraiser, and their goal is to fund the majority of the school costs up to graduation ($1500), and leave his job to cover the transport, food, etc. He is the “man” of the house, as he lives with his grandmother, mom, little sister, and cousin, and often relates to me the importance of this for him so that he can provide for them…..yeah, he’s 23. He has 3 cycles (at 6 months each) left before his certification, at which point El Salvador will have another nurse. It’s a good cause, and we hope to conquer it piece by piece. For more info, contact me at rhettbwilliams@yahoo.com or andoverheberts@gmail.com (Cathy, the recent Habitat for Humanity group leader from Boston that was down here is spearheading the fundraising and gathering what is raised to send to Project Salvador).


Finally, congrats to my brother and his wifey on their first child, Charles Thomas Williams, born around 11:30pm July 24 (exactly six months from my bday)!!!!! I can’t wait to smack him around a little bit in December. Also, a very happy 1st birthday to Jonah (July 26), my now second youngest nephew!

This is a video from Don Mauricio's little surprise party we through before the Medical Dispensary inventory that I wrote about last time. I think its hilarious, and realize that I have some issues. But, if there is one person that I know will laugh at this, it will be my mom. Enjoy.


So, that’s the news. I just finished helping with making the program for our patron festivals in La Comunidad, and we came across this Santo Domingo de Guzman quote that I liked and put on the last page.


“A man who governs his passions is master of his world. We must either command them or be enslaved by them. It is better to be a hammer than an anvil.”


-St. Dominic

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're right, I absolutely loved the video clip and laughed very loudly (even here at work!) I surely do miss your craziness/warped sense of humor! Can't wait til Christmas, as I know there will be alot of laughing til I cry going on! Love you bunches my buddy.

Anonymous said...

We received our photos and letter from the medical committee. It really was so touching. What gracious and warm people they are. Their kind words about you warm this mother's heart. Of course, you must politely decline their offer to keep you there as one of them!!!

Rhett said...

hah, well good. im sure whatever they said about me were lies, but as long as they didnt say anything mean its all good hahahahaha.